2017 is the Year of Open. Here are 10 ways you can participate.
- Learn about open educational resources at our college OER website found at www.valleycollege.edu/oer. During the 2016-2017 academic year, SBVC faculty have saved students approximately over $180,000 on textbooks!
- Participate in the 2017 Open Education Week 3/27-3/31. Open Education Week is a celebration of the global OER movement and it is an opportunity to connect with educators using OER in their classrooms. https://www.openeducationweek.org/
- The SBVC Academic Senate is hosting an OER Special Meeting on 3/29 3pm as part of Open Education Week. Join us and find out the latest trends in OER.
- Join the SBVC OER Ad Hoc Committee which meets the third Tuesday of the month from 2pm-3pm in AD/SS 207 on campus (Feb., March, April, Sept., Oct., and Nov.).
- Follow SBVC OER on Twitter at @oerSBVC.
- Partake in OER Professional Development activities either on campus or online. Go to www.valleycollege.edu/oer > Professional Development folder.
- Learn about the different types of Creative Commons open licenses at https://creativecommons.org/licenses/
- Become a member of the MERLOT (Multimedia Educational Resource for Learning and Online Teaching) repository and gain access to a multitude of resources in your discipline. Consider peer reviewing OER materials for your discipline.
- Start a discussion about OER materials with your discipline colleagues.
- Adopt OER in one or more of your classes and help SBVC students save money on textbooks!